East Port Properties Limited, as Property Manager, is committed to developing strong environmental awareness by working together with staff and tenants, and by opening up communication between all users of the property for the discussion of any and all environmental concerns. Environmental issues being addressed on-site include:
- Environmental Communication: education and communication regarding environmental initiatives, done via annual site inspections and reviews with each tenant, and by providing a copy of the annual reports to the tenant.
- Waste Reduction: a comprehensive recycling program to reduce waste and increase diversion, establish and implement guidelines for construction waste reduction including corrugated cardboard, clean wood, glass, metals, gypsum board, concrete block, plastic, and carpet.
- Recycling: maintain and increase our current program to maximize the recycling rates of office paper, glass, cardboard, plastic, newspaper, cans, and organics.
- Energy Conservation: implement retrofits, automate systems, and encourage behaviour changes aimed at reducing energy use.
- Ozone Depleting Substances Elimination: maintain existing equipment using ODS to operate the equipment efficiently and to minimize the chances of purging gas into the atmosphere; when replacements are required, the new equipment will be chosen for efficiency and to ensure the latest cooling media which eliminate the use of ODS are chosen.
- Water Conservation: implement retrofits and encourage behaviour changes aimed at reducing water consumption.
- Material Selection And Purchasing: give priority to products that reduce the amount of material consumed, generate less waste in manufacturing and disposal, incorporate reuse of original material, incorporate lifecycle analyses, deliver savings in energy and water consumptions, utilize renewable sources, contain non-aerosol and non-CFC alternatives, and emit minimal or no amounts of VOCs.
- Cleaning Products: the use of EcoLogo products for cleaning purposes; building and operational staff will use EcoLogo products for any cleaning purposes within its control.
All environmental issues will be dealt with in a comprehensive and quantifiable way as to establish benchmarks of which future initiatives can be created.
East Port Properties is committed to working with existing strategies and developing new methods of maximizing our efforts to reduce the environmental footprint of the building and its activities.