Environmental Cleaning Guidelines
East Port Properties Limited, as Property Manager, is committed to assisting tenants in providing a safe and healthy work environment for all users of the building.
These Green Housekeeping Guidelines are provided as a resource for tenants who contract or provide their own cleaning services within the building.
To make choices in both machinery and equipment as well as cleaning products, and procedures which do not have an adverse impact on the air quality, health, building finishes, building systems, and the environment.
- Choose sustainable equipment such as machine washable, reusable microfiber cloths rather than paper towels or regular cloth.
- Choose medium-speed buffing machines (rather than high-speed buffers) which generate fewer airborne particles.
- Use steam machines where possible to disinfect rather than using harsh chemicals.
- Use vacuums with HEPA filters which reduce recirculation of dust.
- Install entrance mats and have them cleaned regularly to minimize soil from entering the building.
- Choose cleaning products certified by either Green Seal or UL as meeting environmental standards – see http://www.greenseal.org/FindGreenSealProductsAndServices.aspx or http://productguide.ulenvironment.com/
- Use hand soaps that do not contain antimicrobial agents, except where required.
- Use paper products and garbage bags that are made of recycled materials.
- Have the equipment / product supplier provide training sessions for staff who will be doing the cleaning so that the use of the equipment and product is effective; equipment should be regularly maintained (including replacement of filters), hazards should be identified and their disposal should meet municipal code requirements.